The Clinical Research Office is a partnership between Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, one of the largest and most successful NHS Foundation Trusts in the UK, boasting a number of world-renowned services, and the University of Sheffield, a world-class university with a reputation for outstanding research.
As one of 21 teaching hospitals across the country, our researchers and academics have a strong track record of clinical and research excellence, pioneering new treatments and drugs that are now routinely used in clinical practice. Together with the University of Sheffield, we provide a number of cutting-edge research facilities to develop the talents, skills and specialisms of our researchers, which in turn improves patient care.
The Clinical Research Office is a joint office between Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and the University of Sheffield.
We aim to:
- Support researchers by delivering high quality research support, assistance and education in partnership with the University of Sheffield’s Research and Innovation Services
- Help researchers set up studies quickly and efficiently
- Provide expert advice on research design and analysis.
Our expertise is second to none:
- We work closely with NHS staff, leading academics, patients, members of the public and industry partners to develop new trials and studies that will enable new treatments, drugs and services reach the clinic quicker, and faster.
- Our dedicated team will guide you through the research process - whether you are simply wanting to complete a research questionnaire or need advice on the complex process of study set-up and initiation.
- As one of the largest NHS Foundation Trusts in the UK, we offer a number of specialist clinical services, and can provide you with access to leading specialists - many of whom are at the forefront of their fields - transforming research ideas into tangible products and services.
- We support clinical research across all of our clinical directorates, and our research is supported by a number of state-of-the-art facilities which is underpinned by high quality clinical care.
Our world-class facilities include:
- A £1million MRI scanner, capable of capturing never-seen-before detail in the lungs and brain
- Two purpose-built Clinical Research Facilities, located at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital and the Northern General Hospital, which have enabled 30,000 patients to take part in clinical research since they openeed in 2006. Both are formally recognised as 'centres of excellence' by the Department of Health
- The Sheffield Medical School, one of the country's leading medical schools, home to some of the country's brightest medical students and highly rated in independent assessments
- The Sheffield Insitute for Translational Neuroscience, a world-leading £18million research centre bringing together leading scientists and clinicians from across Europe to develop new technologies and studies aimed at improving the lives of people living with motor neurone disease, a devastating illness leaving sufferers unable to talk, walk, breathe and eat.