Operating Services,Critical Care and Anaesthesia (OSCCA)
Research is the fifth pillar of the NHS and it is a priority for Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. The changes introduced by the formation of the National Institute for Health Research have provided the OSCCA directorate with an opportunity to embrace research, despite the lack of a University Based Department. As a result alternative mechanisms and collaborations have been employed. OSCCA has achieved prominence in several national studies and international studies, both in the national leadership positions and in supporting studies originating from other centres.
SHARC (South Yorkshire Hospitals Audit and Research Collaboration)
SHARC is a trainee led and trainee focussed group that aims to promote, improve and facilitate high quality audit, service evaluation and research.
We have a core group, members and an advisory board of consultants.
We aim to:
- enhance the impact of trainee audit, service evaluation and research through completion of large-scale and meaningful projects
- enable simultaneous delivery of audit and research in multiple trusts through a collaborative approach
- facilitate efficient data collection, maintaining project momentum and enthusiasm
- ensure equity for participation with proper recognition of all individuals' contribution
- provide a chance to get involved in exciting team endeavours, to create new knowledge, change things for the better for our patients and maybe help to shape the future of our specialty
SHARC has a long term vision and aims to generate a continuing ethos of trainee delivered large scale projects. We are already laying the foundations to collaborate with national or international projects.