OSCCA Staff Profiles
Email Address: Matthew.Wiles@sth.nhs.uk
BMedSci(Hons) BM BS MMedSci (ClinEd) MRCP FRCA FFICM
Position within the Trust:
Brief overview of Research Background/ activity:
Prior to my consultant appointment I was employed as a Clinical Lecturer in Anaesthesia by the University of Nottingham. During this time I was able to learn a wide variety of research and laboratory techniques and I gained an appreciation of the unique challenges posed by cellular research. I have been fortunate to gain experience at every level of a successful research project, from planning and protocol development, grant application, gaining Ethics Committee approval, subject recruitment, statistical analysis, presentation at meetings and ultimately, submission for publication.
I have extensive knowledge of the processes surrounding research proposals, most notably co-authoring a successful grant application to the National Institute for Health Research for Patient Benefit Programme for the sum of £133 000.
For the past three years I have been an external advisor for the Neuroanaesthetic Society of Great Britain & Ireland Scientific Affairs Committee. This has involved the reviewing of research abstracts submitted to the Annual Scientific Meeting to determine their suitability for presentation and subsequent publication in the Journal of Neurosurgical Anesthesiology.
I have maintained an active research role throughout my anaesthetic career and continued to publish articles regularly. I am regularly invited to author chapters for textbooks and I was an editor for the Oxford Handbook of Neuroanaesthesia.
I have a particular interest in medical education and training. To this end I completed my Masters in Medical Education in 2012. As a result I have gained knowledge in the theories and practical aspects underlying teaching, assessment, informatics and simulation.
Other posts (e.g. membership of specialist bodies etc):
- Editor, Anaesthesia
- Language and Technical Editor, European Journal of Anesthesiology.
- Council Member, Neuroanaesthesia & Critical Care Society of Great Britain & Ireland.
- NIAA Research Council Member.
- Active member ARS, NASGBI, ESA
National Institute for Health Research, Research for Patient Benefit Programme: £133 000. To investigate the use of cardiac output guided fluid administration in patients having a fractured neck of femur surgically repaired.
Lectures (by invitation)
- How to critique a paper and how to get published. VASGBI Annual Scientific Meeting, Sheffield, 2015
- Has ATLS had its day? CEM/RCOA Study Day on Major Trauma. London, 2015
- Traumatic Brain Injury Update. Euroanesthesia 2015, European Society of Anesthesiology, Berlin, 2015.
- Management of cervical spine injuries. NACCSGBI CPD Study Day, London 2015.
- Update on cervical spine trauma. NACCSGBI Annual Scientific Meeting, Manchester, 2015.
- Management of cervical spine injuries. Annual Winter Scientific Meeting, Association of Anaesthetists, London 2015.
- ATLS – past, present and future. History of Warfare Meeting, Association of Anaesthetists, London 2014.
- Update on cervical spine trauma and traumatic brain injury. NASGBI Annual Scientific Meeting, Sheffield, 2014.
- ATLS: fit for purpose in 21st century trauma management? Anniversary Trauma Meeting. Royal College of Anaesthetists, London 2014.